I have to reiterate the importance of having Music Theory as part of the students’ music education.
A basic definition of music theory is the study of how music works. It encompasses the basic elements of music -
Music Theory and Performance go hand in hand. “A student having little understanding of theory is missing a huge piece of the puzzle“.
As a musician
Music theory should be an integral part of music education. For example, the most beneficial aspect of music is knowing
- how to identify and name the notes from the sheet music
- understand and count Rhythm It is about understanding the music that you are playing.
- know the performance directions and be able to play it as what the composer wants
As a Listener
Even a basic knowledge in music theory can help a listener. Although no one learns music theory just to be able to listen to music, it can benefit in:
- improving your listening experience when you understand what you are hearing
- appreciate the musicianship more profoundly if you understand the common practices of the times
Basically, Music Theory is about understanding the music that you are playing or listening to. To have a heightened awareness of and attentive ears.
So if you are still in a dilemma if Music Theory is important, this will change your views of it.